Do you have a few old jeans that are sitting in your wardrobe for a long time, either because they are out of fashion or don’t fit anymore? There are many creative ways to recycle and re-purpose your old jeans into something useful and practical. Here is a nice DIY project to make a lotus flower teapot coaster from scraps of old jeans. It’s very easy to make and requires only a little bit of sewing. It makes a cute table decor too! Let’s try it!
What you need:
- Denim scraps from old jeans;
- Needle and thread;
How to do:
- The first part is to make the center of the lotus flower. Take the denim scraps and cut out 4 pieces of 6 cm X 6 cm squares (small squares) and 4 pieces of 8 cm x 8 cm squares (large squares).
- Fold the small squares in half, place them on top of one another and secure with needle and thread. Now you’ll have another square with a cross shape in the center. It’s the first layer of the lotus flower center.
- Fold the large squares in half, place them one by one on the sides of the first layer and secure with needle and thread. This is the second layer of the flower center. Make sure it does not cover the cross shape of the first layer.
- Cut out extra scraps of the second layer to make a round shape, with the cross shape as the center.
- Now let’s make the petals of the lotus flower.
- Take the denim scraps and cut out 5 pieces of 9 cm x 9 cm squares.
- Fold the squares along the diagonal twice to form the triangles.
- Insert the 5 triangles into one another and sew them onto a piece of denim strip. These are the petals of the lotus flower.
- Sew to connect the petals to the center of the lotus flower. Here’s a tip for you: cut the bottom of the denim strip in gear shapes. It will be easier to sew them to the bottom of the flower center.
- The final part is to strength the base of the coaster.
- Cut out a piece of cardboard circle with the same size as the base and glue it firmly to the base.
- Trim the extra thread and this pretty lotus flower teapot coaster is ready. Enjoy!